Finding the best pillow that can make a side sleeper very comfortable is somewhat difficult because they have to find somewhere that is in between of soft (as in comfortable) and firm (for support). It is important that side sleepers find a pillow that is capable of supporting the head to keep it aligned with the spine.
If you are a side sleeper, you often find yourself putting your arm underneath the pillow for more support. This is because the arm slightly raises the pillow (and your neck), aligning it with the rest of your body. If you have the right pillow for side sleepers, you won’t need to do this all the time and strain your arms in the process.
In this case you may need a pillow that is very firm underneath and soft on top or two stacked pillows (one soft and one firm). However, there are products especially catered for side sleepers without the need to improvise.
What are the recommended pillows for side sleepers?
Below we have listed products that side sleepers ought to try. These pillows are firm enough to support and line your body the right way, so that you won’t wake up with sore neck and stressed back. Sleep is meant to be relaxing, but one single pillow can ruin it. Therefore, finding the right pillow is definitely necessary if you want to maximize the rest you get from sleeping.
Sleep Better Iso-Cool Memory Foam Pillow, Gusseted Side Sleeper, Standard
- 100% Cotton cover with Outlast Adaptive Comfort material has microscopic PCM beads that absorb heat and feel cool, or releases heat and feel warm
- Visco-elastic memory foam filling in a plush, gusseted design meant to maximize comfort for side sleepers
- Side Sleeper measures 23 x 15.5 x 5 inches
This memory foam pillow is effective for side sleepers because it contours to the shape of the neck giving the needed support as well as comfort for a good night’s slumber.
It also features an iso-cool technology that adjusts to your temperature, minimizing sweating on the pillow. The microscopic Phase Change Material (PCM) beads embedded on the pillow’s material sense the changing temperatures of your body and tells whenever it’s too warm or too cool. The beads absorb the heat and feels cool to regulate body temperature and vice versa.
This memory foam pillow is stuffed with visco-elastic foam in plush, gusseted design for the comfort of side sleepers. The foam is housed in a hypoallergenic 300-thread count cotton cover that can be machine-washed and dried. If you don’t want memory foam, you can get an equally luxurious fill made of spiral-spun polyester. It may not contour to the shape of your neck, but it is quite firm and supportive.
Beyond Down Gel Fiber Side Sleeper Pillow, King
- 300 thread count, 100% cotton cover
- 4.5-inch gusset, with double needle corded edges
- Comfortable for all sleep positions
This pillow is filled with luxurious micro denier gel fiber that is soft enough to ease your sleep but firm enough to provide support for your neck and head. As to not be confused, there is no molded gel layer found in this pillow, but instead gel is infused in the down materials inside the pillow to make it more firm.
The filling is housed inside a 300-thread count 100% cotton. The pillow and cover are hypoallergenic and can be machine-washed and dried. Some people have found this more comfortable than a memory foam pillow as there is a hint of softness in it but doesn’t sink in too much. This is because the fiber is looser inside, unlike a compact foam pillow.
Because it is filled enough inside so that it is firm, this pillow is quite heavy. Definitely not recommended for pillow fights.
BioSense 2 Shoulder Pillow for Side Sleepers
- Antimicrobial protection helps keep your pillow cover clean and fresh night after night
- Memory foam core delivers custom, pressure-relieving support for your head and neck
- Ventilated core lets air flow through the pillow, adapting to your body temperature for comfort and support that feels just right
This pillow is great if you’re looking for both comfort and support. It is filled with a memory foam core that won’t budge or push down on pressure so you’ll have a solid lining under your head and neck.
It’s good for the sides of your face because it comes with a plush outer cover that is filled with hypoallergenic Better Than Down microfiber. This is recommended for people who like the support a memory foam pillow gives but doesn’t like the feel of stiffness. Like the pillow previously reviewed, this one has temperature control that adjusts to your temperature to minimize frequency of getting woken up.
The cover is removable and machine washable but you don’t have to do this often as it is odor controlling due to four natural ingredients infused within: green tea, charcoal, seed oil, and peppermint.
Mediflow Original Waterbase Pillow
- CLINICALLY PROVEN: Our Waterbase technology has been clinically proven by an independent Johns Hopkins study to reduce neck pain and improve overall quality of sleep, bringing you the best night's sleep you have ever experienced
- IDEAL FOR ALL SLEEPING POSITIONS: -If you are a side, back or stomach sleeper or switch in between - the water will move with your head, so you will never have to adjust or fluff this pillow. 200 thread count cotton shell. Machine wash and dry
- CUSTOMIZE TO YOUR COMFORT: Our Waterbased Pillow can be customized to your liking! Adjust the water level for make your pillow soft, medium, firm or even medium-firm!
This pillow is unique because it can be adjusted according to your preferred level of stiffness. You can fill it with water to determine your choice of support: soft, medium, or firm.
The water-based pillow also effectively responds to your head movements as you sleep to maintain proper support. The pillow is not all water though so it is not squishy. The upper part is composed of soft hypoallergenic polyester filling. This upper layer is supported by thin waterbase at the bottom.
The water in the pillow minimizes inconsistencies in your sleep because it doesn’t require fluffing and re-stuffing. It comes in one size: 20″ x 28″ jumbo size that fits standard or queen cases.
SleepRight Side Sleeping Pillow, 24-Inch by 5-Inch
- 5 Year warranty Against manufacturer defects - Pillow cover is hypo-allergenic and made of Rayon from Bamboo
- PREMIUM MEMORY FOAM. Automatically adjusts to body temperature and weight as your body stabilizes in its resting place, leaving the spine ideally aligned
- FULL FACIAL CRADLE. The side sleeping pillow is designed to reduce pressure on the jaw and ear, helping to relax the facial area. Gently cradles the face, providing comfort and support
This pillow, made especially for side sleepers, is advertised to be the most advanced side sleeping design available. It was developed to help reduce head, neck, and jaw tension.
It has a full facial cradle that reduces pressure points on the jaw and ear, which makes it great if you usually sleep for hours in one side. There’s also a 12-degree shoulder cradle that keeps the correct angle between your head, neck, and shoulder while sleeping on your side.
The only con is that this pillow is a bit expensive compared to other ones reviewed here (almost double) and it is also quite heavy. If you are the kind of sleeper who moves around a lot, you’ll have to drag this pillow with you. Due to the weight, it might fully wake you.
Side sleepers won’t have trouble looking for the best pillow for them because many manufacturers have created and designed pillows that are not only comfortable, but also firm enough to support the head and the neck. Side sleepers can rest assured that they won’t wake with sore neck and back.